Look for signs
1. Do your gums bleed or hurt when you brush, floss or have your teeth cleaned by a dental professional?
2. Are your gums red or swollen?
3. Are your gums pulling away from your teeth?
4. Do your gums bleed when you run a soft brush pick between your teeth?
5. Do your teeth appear to be getting longer or separating or loosening?
Feel for signs
6. Are your gums sore when you brush, floss or have your teeth cleaned by a dental professional?
7. Do your teeth hurt when you chew or when you drink something hot or cold?
Taste for signs
8. Do you have a constant unpleasant taste in your mouth?
9. Do you have bad breath that never goes away?
Did you answer yes to one or more questions? This could be an indication of gum disease.
Make an appointment with a dentist for a checkup.
Did you answer no to all of these questions?
Your gums seem to be healthy; to be sure, follow good gum care and have a checkup with a dentist or dental hygienist twice a year.